Here are some delightful food and flower combinations inspired by garden writer Rosalind Creasy.
- Bush beans backed by tall red zinnias, ruby chard, and coreopsis.
- Eggplant and purple alyssum, purple basil, and lavender petunias.
- Carrots interplanted with low-spreading ‘Gem’ series marigolds.
- Mix different lettuce colors and interplant them with Iceland poppies; back them with white stock or orange and yellow calendulas.
- Sweet bell peppers with small, yellow marigolds.
- White Swiss chard with red and orange cosmos and red Swiss chard, fronted by nasturtiums, or ‘Thumbelina’ or ‘Peter Pan’ dwarf zinnias.
- Summer squash with tall marigolds and blue salvia—white petunias in front.
- Tomatoes backed by tall cleome, hollyhocks in salmon, pink, and white—and in front, red geraniums and multiflora petunias to match.